Several people identified as being of interest in one of Tasmania’s most baffling and long-running missing person cases, the 1969 disappearance of Lucille Butterworth, will be issued with summonses, a coroner has told an inquest.
Ms Butterworth disappeared from a bus stop in the Hobart suburb of Claremont on August 25 that year.
Today, coroner Simon Cooper told the formal start of her inquest that he believed the 20-year-old had been a victim of homicide.
He said after reading the vast quantity of police evidence, he believed there were four main people of interest.
One of them died in 2012, while the other three are believed to be alive.
The coroner said summonses and, if necessary, warrants would be issued for those people and others believed to have information about her disappearance, to give evidence to the inquest.
PAUL TAPP’S extensive archive on Tasmanian Times ...